Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Musings with My Morning Coffee



I am so nostalgic for those fabulous fifties fashions right now. I love how ladylike the looks are. I am also homesick for when I was living with my girlfriends. So much beauty! Everywhere! Whether we were gathered on the landing, under the stars, next to an outdoor fire, singing songs...or decorating a Christmas tree next to a roaring fire, or just drinking prosecco while watching an old movie, my friends had a way of bringing out the lady in me, of making everything more aesthetically pleasing, of spreading their pretty ways and gentility everywhere. There was such a comfort and familiarity within that environment.

I love dressing up for no reason at all. I love wearing baubles and playing with makeup. But now I live in an environment where everyone dresses down rather than up. Almost in reaction to the sloppiness and raggedness, I take special care to primp up on my walks. This makes me the object of some attention, needless to say. I am naturally a shy person, believe it or not, so at first this was met with mixed reactions. But as I pass by people on the sidewalk, crossing the street, or waiting to see the nurse and smile at them. They brighten up a little. One man that I passed while thrift store shopping, smiled, nodded respectfully and said, "Have a nice day, young lady." And when he said the word "lady" I smiled. Because we use the term "lady" two ways socially. One as an inoffensive way to refer to any woman, the second as a way to describe a woman who is gentle, polished and well-mannered. I think this time he meant it in the latter sense.

I suppose I would be the same person if I roamed around in my sweatpants. But I would not be making an effort to be pleasing a well-mannered about my presentation.  It is in that, I believe, that I have a chanceat exercising kindness to others as well as myself.

And now I am off to top of my coffee cup. Doo de doo di doo...

No comments:

Post a Comment