Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On Singing Faure's "Requiem" on the Feast of All Souls

Previously I had never sang a requiem Mass in the context for which it was actually written. In a concert, yes, but not during the actual Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Last night, on the Feast of All Souls, I did.

The joy was only heightened by the fact that the Requiem Mass I was to be preforming, with my parish choir and the hired chamber orchestra, was Gabriel Faure's "Petit Requiem Messe".

I shall never forget the thrills of the dramatic Introit; the graceful Kyrie, the sublime Sanctus, and the hopeful In Paradisum.

Someday, I want to sing the Pie Jesu, and I have wanted to ever since I first heard it, some years ago.

Merci, Gabriel Faure. Requiescat in pace.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! oh! When you do, can I sing the Libera me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not realize that you were a baritone, Belfry! How delightful! I love that solo too! That is such a marvellous movement and I am so glad that Faure added it to the composition at a later year. The piece needs it to add just a touch more a gravitas to its dancing mood. Well, I will pray and ask God that someday we can sing those solos! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete